Announcements:

*Why are the 6 weeks of linkups? Well start here at the WEEK 59 TAN link up and get some explanation! Then follow the links to other colors to find the corresponding link up!
*Find us on Facebook
*Be a
sponsor Contact Brooke!





Friday, April 29, 2011

Violet Red and the Orient Express! { Sheryl }

Sirkeci Train Station, Istanbul Turkiye.  
Front view of the Sirkeci Train Station
Right clock tower 

Detail view of the small icon between the windows
Right porch 
Left entrance 

I am only guessing but I think this is the name plate for the restaurant 

Right porch and entrance to the restaurant 



Today this is schedule 


 Last Tuesday I spent the day in the old part of the city called SultanAhmet.  I got on a tour bus there and found this treasure on the way.  I couldn't believe my eyes when the color matched my sample of Violet Red.  (My dear friend Melissa has inspired me to keep a sample with me!)  After the tour, I met a friend for lunch in the sun.  Then she walked back down to the station with me.  I enjoyed getting to see this building close up.  Inside we checked on a train schedule, which you can see has our color on it also!  As we walked to the tram, to make our way home, we discussed our options for getting on board a train here and going on an adventure.  I was very serious and hope she was!

This station was actually built to receive the "Orient Express".  The Train of Kings, the King of Trains" was the motto.  This was a train that ran from Paris to Istanbul starting in 1889; a journey that took three days.  The station officially opened in 1890, even though the "Orient Express" had already been coming here for over a year.  This train ran until 1977 when service was stopped.  Now,  the "Orient Express" runs one time a year.  I am hoping to make the trip myself one day.  A few year ago,  I did read the book "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie.  I highly recommend this classic!

I am so excited that blogger is open again in Turkey.  I want to thank Brooke for helping do my posting during this very frustrating interruption in my fun!  I understand we are opening up for questions.  I would love to answer any questions you might have about me, Istanbul or anything; anytime!  Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to link your fabulous photos!  (which I will be able to see now!)  Love, Love!

4 comments:

  1. What a grand station! The architecture is fabulous. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an exotic place to live! That book and the movie are both at the top of my favorites. I especially like the one done on Masterpiece Mystery. Miss Marple is another character of dear Agatha Christie whom I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to ask my question- how did you come to live in Turkey? My husband was stationed there in the 1950s. But I didn't meet him till he came back to the States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just now got a chance to look at this. I LOVE the pictures. And the color is awesome!

    ReplyDelete